Spring Disaster Response Trainings
posted on January 10
This class will provide you with the basic information you need about Early Response Teams. ERTs fill a specific need in the days after a disaster to clean out flood-damaged homes, remove debris, place tarps on homes, and otherwise help to prevent further damage, while providing a caring Christian presence. It is ideal for each church to have ERT trained volunteers who are able to respond to needs across the Conference. Under the UMCOR system, early responders cannot help unless they are trained.
Spring 2023 Training Options
- 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, February 18 at King's Way UMC in Springfield
- 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, March 18 at La Croix UMC in Cape Girardeau
- 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday, April 22 at Woods Chapel UMC in Kansas City
ERTs are not a first-response group of emergency workers, nor are they recovery, rebuild, or repair teams. Under very specific guidelines, ERTs assist survivors, without causing further harm or being a burden to the affected community. All ERT members are trained by authorized UMCOR trainers and are given identification badges as evidence of successful completion of the basic class.
To receive your UMCOR ERT Badge you must:
- Attend the in-person training session all day
- Pass the test given at the end of the training session
- Complete and pass the background check (instructions are sent in your registration confirmation email)